Moldy Windowsills Can Be An Eyesore & Detrimental To Your Health.
Here‘s How To Clean Mold From Your Windowsills & Reduce Its Chances Of Returning.
Are you a Twin Cities homeowner experiencing mold on your double hung windows? If so, this article will show you how to clean the mold from your windows and take proper steps to prevent it from returning.
Why Does Mold Form On Double Hung Windows?
Mold typically forms on windowsills when condensation and moisture collect around the window. The moisture that produces mold can come from a variety of sources:
- Humid outdoor air
- Steam from hot showers or cooking
- Plumbing leaks
- Condensation during the winter, when the warm indoor air meets the cool window glass
When moisture sits on the sill for extended periods, mold starts to form. The mold is usually a green or black color. Green mold is pretty common in homes and is relatively easy to remove. Black mold is rarer, but more hazardous to your health. Black mold should be assessed and removed by a professional.
Getting Rid Of Mold
If you’re removing mold from the sills of your double hung windows, here are the steps to take:
- In a bucket, mix three parts warm water with one part bleach.
- Lay down a tarp or mat beneath the window. This will catch any mold that falls, preventing it from getting onto your floors. (This is especially important if the floor is carpeted.)
- Wear gloves, goggles, and a dust mask. You don’t want to come into contact with any airborne mold spores once you start cleaning.
- Open the window to allow for ventilation. You want the mold spores to flow outdoors.
- With a nonabrasive brush (such as a toothbrush), scrub the mold from the windowsill. Dip the brush into the bleach mixture often.
- Use a clean cloth or rag to wipe away the loosened mold.
- Let the windowsill dry before you close the window.
Preventing Mold From Forming
There are a few ways to help reduce the chance of mold growth on your double hung windowsills.
- Proper Ventilation:Exhaust fans in your bathroom and kitchen greatly reduce excess humidity while increasing airflow.
- Dehumidifier: For damp areas, install a dehumidifier. This will collect extra moisture from the air, reducing the conditions that are conducive to mold growth.
- Remove Condensation Regularly:Wipe condensation and any moisture from your windows on a regular basis. No moisture means there is no room for mold to grow!
- Invest In New Windows: If your windows are old, they may be leaking or producing excess condensation. This not only produces mold, but it also creates a number of other problems. If your windows are inefficient, you’re spending more than necessary on your energy bills. Energy and air is likely transferring to and from your windows at a high rate, which forces you to use your heating and cooling system constantly.
Investing In New Double Hung Windows To Prevent Mold
Investing in new windows to prevent mold might seem drastic. But the truth is that if your current windows are producing mold, they’re also causing you other problems. In addition to the higher energy bills mentioned above, your current windows probably don’t operate as well as they used to and are likely reducing the curb appeal and value of your home.
Fortunately, the best double hung windows in the Twin Cities DON’T cost an arm and a leg. With our genuinely lower prices and excellent financing, we make getting superior windows easily within reach.
Our lines of vinyl double hung windows are independently rated as some of the most energy efficient, airtight, condensation-resistant, and leak-proof on the market.
When you see all the features packed in our windows, it’s easy to see why:
- High-density Comfort Foam
- Ultra-Smart triple-fin weather stripping
- Soft-Seal straddle gasket
- Dura Sill’s double-walled sill dam
Also worth noting: Our vinyl double hung windows have shown to be 23 times more airtight than wood double hung windows from big-name manufacturers like Pella and Marvin…and 15 times more airtight than vinyl double hung windows from brands like Alside and Champion.
Get An Online Quote On Double Hung Windows Today
If you’d like to know more about prices for double hung windows in the Twin Cities, get an online quote from us today. We’ll email you a firm and accurate price on superior double hung windows within one business day.
Once you have the quote, we won’t pressure you or pester you with incessant follow up. Take as much time as you need to make a decision. We’ll be here if you have any questions.